VW Brand Cupra has started taking pre-order deposits for the new “Born” electric car in Australia and it really throws down the gauntlet to Tesla as well as Polestar with a price tag starting at $59,990 (before on road costs).
With a claimed WLTP range of 511km the new Cupra Born will no doubt attract a significant amount of interest from Aussies as we are a country with high levels of range anxiety.
Potential buyers should be aware of the fine print “Manufacturer’s recommended driveaway price (MRDP) is indicative only” because as we know Covid, supply chain issues and movements in the Aussie dollar can change prices substantially.
Also be aware the $1000 deposit has two parts if you cancel: $750 refundable and $250 not refundable.
The sportily styled fast hatchback has been selling well overseas which is not surprising considering specs such as 310Nm of torque and 170kW max power enabling acceleration of 0-50km/2.8s and 0-100km/7s.
Cupra promises that the “77kWh (82kWh) battery means the CUPRA Born can deliver up to 511km of range from a single charge.”
Other highlights include:
- A 12” panoramic infotainment touchscreen system with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
- Leather heated multifunction steering wheel.
- EAQUAL sustainably made lumbar-support bucket seats
- LED headlamps with Light Assist
- Safety: Adaptive Cruise Control, Park Assist, Rear Traffic Alert, Pre-Crash Assist, Exit Warning
Optional extras include:
- Interior Package – Blue Dinamica (microfleece) heated massage seats in the front and premium beats sound system
- Performance Package – Dynamic Chassis Control, 20″ Firestorm Alloy wheels and a wide tyre package. Note this optional Performance Package reduces the range to WLTP 475km.
- Metallic paint – Aurora Blue premium metallic paint.
What do you think of the Cupra Born?